Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sugar and Headaches



Lately I have become more aware of how certain cooked foods make my body feel.  It is usually within an hour of eating something that all of a sudden I am acutely aware of not feeling quite right, sometimes almost sick.  It has been a two-year journey to get to this place of food/physical well-being awareness, of putting a food with how I feel later.  Raw Food Rehab has taught me a lot in this past year alone and I am so grateful to have found this site.

What I have discovered is how I feel after eating wheat and sugar.  I end up with the mother of all headaches that lasts up to two days.  Nothing helps it go away except my body's process of eliminating the offending food.  This article was very interesting Sugar's Effect on Your Health.  I was surprised all the different health issues sugar causes the body.  This includes corn syrup.

The other day I bought myself a treat, soft peppermint sticks.  I promptly ate three.  Yes, all in a row.  Within an hour my head was pounding and even my green smoothie couldn't take the edge off my discomfort.  Ugh!  I still, two days later have that headache!  (I ate another peppermint stick yesterday.  Just call me a glutton for punishment!)

Wheat affects my body as well.  I do not have Celiac's Disease but I do have wheat allergies.  This is going to sound weird (could I have any other kind of allergy but weird?), but wheat makes my left ear itch.  Not just a slight itch but a deep down-wake me in the middle of the night-itch.  It is miserable!  It isn't the worst allergy in the world but it is awful for me.  And it finally occurred to me last night that carbs break down in the body and become sugars!  OMGsh!  But sugar hasn't affected me this way before, why now?  I have been 95% raw vegan for nearly 11 weeks and putting those types of ingredients in me is having profound affects.  I can't explain how it feels to actually come to this kind of realization.  It's a big deal for me.

So, add to my list of Foods that Make Me Sick, sugar and wheat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...