Thursday, December 2, 2010

Conscious Choice

The past couple of days have been one conscious choice after another.  I'm cooking dinner for the family, will I choose to eat what I am cooking even though I am not hungry?  When I did finally feel hunger I had the choice of heating what I fixed for the family or eating a raw salad.  I chose the salad (raw cranberry relish).  

Today I realized my day has been a series of conscious choices of what to put in my mouth.  Chips?  No.  I don't like how I bloat from all the salt.  Bread?  No.  I don't like how it causes my allergies to flair up.  Leftover turkey (yes, we still have some turkey)?  No.  It upsets my digestive system.

So what did I choose?  I chose to make a pumpkin spice latte.  It has been warm and filling and delicious.  But I consciously chose to stay 100% raw today.  And that's the thing.  It has to be conscious.  If I mindlessly wander my kitchen cabinets and fridge I will unconsciously put food in my mouth that I don't really want or need.  I have to make a well thought out decision to stay raw.  No more floating through my food choices, not thinking about what I am doing.  

My new plan is to try to be very aware of what is in my hand heading in the direction of my mouth.  To think about what I'm doing and what I am eating.  How am I going to feel after eating ___?  Is it worth it?  Do I want to put my body through the uncomfortable physical issues?  Do I really want to play "catchup" with my health every time I choose to eat something processed or cooked or whatever it is, then go raw until I "feel good" again.

Here is a <blurry> photo of that delicious Pumpkin Spice Latte I chose to drink all day.  Very soothing and filling on a chilly December day.


Here is the recipe in case you want to try it.  The base of the recipe is from Penni Shelton of rawfoodrehab.ning.com .

Pumpkin Spice Latte

1 1/2 cups Sunny Mylk (1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds blended in
     1 1/2 cups water)
1 cup Rooibos tea (I use Red Chai Masala Tulsi Tea)
Juice of 1 Pie Pumpkin
2 TBLS raw honey or sweetener of choice
1/4 to 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 to 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp Ceylon cinnamon

Brew the tea and set aside.  Juice the Pie Pumpkin.  Blend the Sunny Mylk.  Add the honey, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract and pumpkin juice into the Sunny Mylk.  Blend.  Add the tea and blend again.  If you have a high-speed blender, blend until it is warm.

Note:  The pumpkin will separate from everything if left to set.  Just a quick shake or stir mixes it all back together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...