Friday, November 12, 2010

There's a blob in my kitchen!

And the blob isn't from the sink of unwashed dishes, either!  No, I have two jars of Kombucha brewing and the scobies are forming nicely.  It's strange, though.  One scoby is thicker and better formed than the other.  They both sit next to each other in the darker corner of the counter.  One is next to the (uninsulated) outer wall so I am wondering if that has anything to do with the stunted formation.  When the scobies are thicker I plan on starting a new batch and making black cherry Kombucha.  These current jars are pretty tart so I want to use them as the starter for a new, drinkable batch.                                              

Here are my jars of Kombucha.  The are covered with a paper towel and rubber bands to keep out the inevitable gnats that appear during Autumn fruit season.  It smells good but is a bit too tart for my taste.

Here is one of the scobies.  She is about 1/4-inch thick, maybe a bit more.  I had to do a double take on this one.  The momma sank beneath the surface and now has a baby scoby forming above her.  BONUS!  The other jar has a malformed scoby and isn't thickening quite as fast.  I think this is the one setting next to the wall, so she doesn't get a much warmth to form correctly.  I may move both of these over on the counter closer to the oven for a bit of radiant heat.



This is the baby scoby forming above its mother.  Doesn't she look so cute?



Future black cherry Kombucha using R.W. Knudsen's juice concentrate.  Hmmm... it looks like someone has been snitching from the bottle!  I can't wait to try Black Cherry Kombucha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...