Thursday, November 18, 2010

Raw on Thanksgiving?


Thanksgiving dinner.  A time of traditions, family and friends, football and food.  Have you ever thought about our major holidays always being centered around food?  And usually we eat the same food.

This year I wondered about eating raw and having Thanksgiving dinner.  How am I going to handle this?  What will go on my plate and in my mouth?  I figure if I have some kind of game-plan going into the day I will be less likely to fill up taste-testing and more likely to put healthy raw/vegan foods on my plate.  I do plan on having a small slice of turkey, some stuffing (bread = my weakness) with gravy and pumpkin pie.  So what will be raw for me?

cranberry relish (Martha's recipe)             
pumpkin/persimmon flan   
broccoli salad                                           
brussels sprouts and Asian pear salad

The raw menue has changed.  I am still serving Martha's cranberry relish, Brussels sprout & Asian pear salad; wild rice stuffing; okra salad; Ruby Red Grapefruit & avocado salad.

It isn't much but it's a start.  Throughout the day I want to be filling up on green smoothies, which will keep the taste-testing at bay.  That is the game plan.  Do you have a game plan?  Would you be willing to share it?  

UPDATE:  Okay, my plan pretty much went out the window.  BUT I didn't do much "taste-testing" as I usually do on Thanksgiving Day.  When dinner came I was hungry AND I did not eat until I felt sick.  Another first for my Thanksgiving Day.  All in all, I'm happy with the day.

The wild rice stuffing didn't happen.  I literally ran out of time.  The okra salad, which I was SO looking forward to, didn't happen because I could not find fresh okra.  Out of season.  The Ruby Red Grapefruit & avocado salad was eaten right up; gone.  I got a small taste of it and this is a deliciously refreshing salad.  

I hope you all had a good day focusing of family and friends (we had 16 in our house!).  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...