Saturday, October 16, 2010

Going Shopping

 

I am getting ready to do one of my least favorite chores:  grocery shopping.  I don't know why I dislike going to the market so much.  Maybe it's because I get frustrated with the traffic jam of carts in the aisles.  Or maybe because I spend more money to buy less and less.  Then again it could be the knowledge that this chore is never ending.  If I think about the reasons, ponder them deeply I would admit it's because of the crowds.  A store full of people all disliking the same chore doesn't always make for a pleasant experience.

I have my (long) list written out.  This one is filled with whole foods; raw foods.  Daikon Radish, curly Kale, Baby Bok Choy, fresh thyme.  The menus for this week have been chosen: Shaved Fennel Salad, Colorful Cabbage Slaw, Crispy Shallot Onion Rings, Weeknight Chili.

Oh!  Here is another reason grocery shopping may be such a pariah, buying for raw food eaters (just me) and cooked food eaters (everyone else in the house).  It's hard to balance that, at least for me.  I tend to forget to buy what my family wants to eat and sometimes end up with only healthy vegetables and fruits!  It's an honest mistake.  Really!

Anyway, staying raw lately has been very hard.  I don't know why.  Maybe the cooler weather is triggering my comfort food meter.  Fall and winter has always been "Soup Season" to me.  Soup with warm homemade bread cut thick with real butter.  Eating raw vegan during Soup Season is going to be a struggle.  

I mean, warming soups in the dehydrator is definitely doable.  It may be the only way I have warm soup.  The bread part will be impossible.  At least the thick-cut bread.  I don't think there is a thick fluffy raw bread recipe out there.  Plus it doesn't help I'm allergic to wheat.

I am determined to stay as close to 100% raw as possible.  It occurred to me today I only have 40 pounds left to lose.  So why is it so hard to eat in a way that makes me feel good, sleep well, look good, and lose weight?  No pills, no marathon exercising (though exercising will certainly speed up the weight loss).  Why can't my brain wrap itself around eating raw?

So, my list is made.  Tomorrow I'll head to the store and do my duty.  Maybe I'll treat myself to a new fruit or vegetable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...