Sunday, June 5, 2011

Farmer's Market

Friday I went to two local markets and had such a good time.  The first was a small market called New Roots for Refugees.  The people are taught to grow food for themselves and enough to sell so they can learn to be self-sustaining.  This was a great market for greens and I really feel it is one that I can support long-term.  You can read about New Roots for Refugees here.  This is what I came home with:


There are white turnips which are melt-in-your mouth smooth, radish, dill, collards, kale, Muchichu which is some type of green, cilantro, and purple and green kohlrabi.


That evening a couple friends and I went to the Bad Seed Farm market in downtown KC.  That was a lot of fun! Sheep cheese, Local-bucha, greens, peas, turnips.  Next door the owners of a new soon-to-open vegan restaurant was handing out samples.  This wasn't just a Dixie cup but a dessert-sized plate with nice helping of three types of fare.  OMGsh!  It was delicious!  I put my name on the emailing list!

If you have local farmer's markets please visit them.  It's nice to know that what I bought was grown a mere 10 to 15 minutes from my own home.  And these are worthy of our support instead of big-box stores where food comes from where?  They used what type of chemicals?  Who am I supporting with this purchase?  Well, you get the picture, now do you really get the BIG picture?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...